The Caviart Group understands that every organization faces unique challenges in their credentialing programs. Unlike certification companies that try to fit every program into their mold, The Caviart Group does not believe that one size fits all. Instead, we draw on our 30+ years of experience in certification and licensure testing to create and implement programs that meet the unique needs of each client.
We invite you to read a short case study for a recent project that began with a host of major challenges and resulted in a complete, new licensure program that is robust, legally defensible, was implemented in eight months and satisfies the concerns of the licensure board and the public.
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Licensed Site Remediation Professional
The Caviart Group was tasked to develop and implement a complete, new licensure program for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP). This was the first licensure effort for the NJDEP and there were many challenges to overcome including a short time frame, political controversy, and a complete lack of any existing licensure and testing infrastructure. The Caviart Group developed and delivered everything for the licensure program including policies and procedures, a job/task analysis, a test design and multiple editions of a licensure exam. We also developed an online candidate registration system, delivered the exam in two locations on four occasions and provided score reporting online.
Please see below for an overview of the Challenges, Solution and Results for this project.
- This was the first licensure effort for the NJDEP. The client had no history in licensure, no infrastructure for administration of licensure and no experience in testing.
- This was a turn-key project. The Caviart Group had to develop everything for the licensure program including policies and procedures, a job/task analysis and four editions of a licensure exam. We also had to develop an online test registration system, deliver the exam in two locations on four occasions and provide score reporting online. The Caviart Group had to identify and recruit all subject matter experts, identify and contract for meeting and test administration space and accommodate ADA test administration modification requests.
- The stakes were high for applicants. The state had issued temporary licenses to experienced, practicing professionals. Temporary licensed expired in one year and anyone not obtaining permanent licensure lost the ability to practice.
- The issue was environmentally sensitive and politically charged. There were vocal groups who were concerned that the licensure program would not adequately protect the environment or the health, safety and welfare of the residents of the state.
- The licensure board charged to create the program was composed of applicants for licensure.
- The first exam had to be administered within eight (8) months of project initiation and three additional, different examinations had to be administered within the following eight (8) months.
- Draw on The Caviart Group’s 30+ years of experience in high stakes certification and licensure testing
- Put together a team of 34 experienced professionals including staff members (project managers, test developers, psychometricians and computer programmers); subject matter experts, test administrators and proctors.
- Educate the client about licensure and testing
- Educate the public about licensure with publications and public hearings
- Provide exceptional customer service to the client and the applicants
- Licensure program implemented on time
- Job/Task Analysis with 85% response rate performed
- Test designed
- Test constructed on time
- Tests administered and scored
- Analysis shows exceptional level of test reliability
- NJDEP and licensure board happy
- Environmental groups satisfied
- Examinees treated fairly
- Public protected
- Contract extended into the future